Camp Hero State Park

One of two 16-inch gun batteries located at Camp Hero. Each battery consisted of two 16-inch guns built into a man-made hill with the guns connected with approximately 500 feet of underground tunnel for storing shells and powder, generators and latrines.

Summary Information

  • In Service 1944 - 1957
  • Purpose Two 16-inch guns connected by a 500 foot underground bunker for storage and support requirements.
  • Current Status Sealed. Not open to the public.

As with most of the structures from the Coast Defense period, the support structures for the base were designed with the appearance of a sea coast town. Here the gymnasium was built with the look of a church. The building continued into the Air Force Base period with the same purpose and was later covered with aluminum siding over the wooden clapboards.